Assistant Ecologist x 2
1 X London
1 X Kent/Sussex/Hampshire
About Environment Bank
We have created a new plan for the planet. With our multi award-winning Habitat Banks, we are trailblazing a new path to restore and protect biodiversity by revolutionising how the commercial and natural worlds interact. We are making immense progress at pace with a network of Habitat Banks opening across England and are currently looking for two Assistant Ecologists based remotely, 1x London and 1x Kent/Sussex/Hampshire to join our incredible team.
Assistant Ecologists will play a key role in supporting with securing EBs network of Habitat Banks across England with a particular focus in their defined geographical region. This will involve a wide range of responsibilities from working alongside ecologists and the land team to select sites, undertaking desk studies and liaising with landowners to arrange and carry out initial site walkover visits to assess the potential of each site to be used as a habitat bank.
Key responsibilities dependent will include:
- Assist with task management of the ecological aspects of the HB delivery process from site registration to HB completion and lease end.
- Assist with the design and implementation of ecological surveys that inform the HB delivery process, specifically relating to UK Habitats Classification and condition assessments with supervision.
- Supporting with the carrying out of desk studies and collate pertinent ecological information in order to highlight ecological opportunities and constraints to more senior staff in the team.
- Assisting with ecological survey work (particularly site walkovers, UK Habitat Classification, habitat condition assessments and more specialised botanical survey work as necessary).
- Compiling and assisting with interpreting and analysing site survey information.
- Contributing to Biodiversity Net Gain assessments and calculations utilising the Biodiversity Metric with support from senior staff.
- Creation of digital maps and presentation of habitat baselines and habitat creation proposals with support from senior staff.
- Assist senior staff in relationship building with landowners throughout the HB process including attending site meetings.
- Relevant first degree.
- Full driving licence.
- Desirable second degree in a relevant field.
- CIEEM Membership.
- Desirable FISC Level 1 – or equivalent botanical skills as per the Botanical Field Skill Pyramid.
- Some experience in the ecology and/or conservation land management sector preferable, or other equivalent transferable experience.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of ecological principles, taxonomy and classification.
- Can carry out straightforward Biodiversity Metric calculations using the most up to date metrics with supervision.
- Has a basic knowledge of plant identification and some experience of using keys and field identification guides.
- Some experience in using GIS.
- An effective team worker, demonstrating the importance of listening as part of effective communication. Proactively identifies areas for personal development and identifies opportunities to address them.
Environment Bank is a fantastic, modern place to work with wellbeing being at the heart of our business. We have built a cohesive team which is incredibly collaborative and approachable at all levels, and as a result we have grown significantly over the past 18 months and are set for further growth. We have secured significant investment enabling us to become industry innovators, bring our new plan for the planet into a reality… and this is just the start.
- Salary: Up to (up to £30k depending on experience)
- Full time, 35 hours per week remote, flexible working
- Annual company performance related bonus
- Head Office at the vibrant York University East campus with free onsite parking
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays, birthday and wellness day
- Option to purchase 5 additional days of holiday
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme with 6% employer contribution
- Salary sacrifice electric car leasing scheme
- Medical cash back scheme
- 3x death in service cover
How to apply
To apply for this role you must have the right to work in the UK and we will ask for evidence of this at or before interview stage.
This role is remote, we will need evidence that you have access to a road worthy vehicle, insurance certification including business cover and can access high internet speeds. Please note that for remote roles requiring site visits, you will need to be able to cover the area you are working in.
Sorry no agency CVs at this point.
Please submit your CV with a supporting statement of no more than one page to [email protected].
Closing date: 16.06.23
If you need any further information about this role, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].